Avastin effective against ROP

Article

Intravitreal bevacizumab (Avastin) can be beneficial in the treatment of severe retinopathy of prematurity (ROP), according to a study published in the July 2008 issue of the British Journal of Ophthalmology.

Intravitreal bevacizumab (Avastin) can be beneficial in the treatment of severe retinopathy of prematurity (ROP), according to a study published in the July 2008 issue of the British Journal of Ophthalmology.

Shunji Kusaka, MD of Osaka University Medical School, Japan and colleagues injected 0.5 mg bevacizumab into 23 eyes (stages 3 to 4B) of 14 patients with ROP who, regardless of conventional laser ablation therapy, were at high risk of progression or retinal detachment. The intravitreal injections were given as an initial treatment (n=15) or subsequent to vitrectomy (n=8).

Of the eyes injected as an initial treatment, 93% (n=14) demonstrated reduced neovascular activity on fluorescein angiography. Twenty eyes underwent vitrectomy: of these, the retinal reattached after just one surgery in 90% of eyes (n=18) and after multiple surgeries in the remaining 10% (n=2). Three eyes developed or progressed to a tractional retinal detachment after injection, though no other adverse events were noted.

The researchers concluded that, as intravitreal bevacizumab appears to correlate to reduced neovascularization without adverse events, bevacizumab may, in the short term at least, be an effective treatment for ROP refractory to conventional laser ablation.

Related Videos
ARVO 2024: Andrew D. Pucker, OD, PhD on measuring meibomian gland morphology with increased accuracy
 Allen Ho, MD, presented a paper on the 12 month results of a mutation agnostic optogenetic programme for patients with severe vision loss from retinitis pigmentosa
Noel Brennan, MScOptom, PhD, a clinical research fellow at Johnson and Johnson
ARVO 2024: President-elect SriniVas Sadda, MD, speaks with David Hutton of Ophthalmology Times
Elias Kahan, MD, a clinical research fellow and incoming PGY1 resident at NYU
Neda Gioia, OD, sat down to discuss a poster from this year's ARVO meeting held in Seattle, Washington
Eric Donnenfeld, MD, a corneal, cataract and refractive surgeon at Ophthalmic Consultants of Connecticut, discusses his ARVO presentation with Ophthalmology Times
John D Sheppard, MD, MSc, FACs, speaks with David Hutton of Ophthalmology Times
Paul Kayne, PhD, on assessing melanocortin receptors in the ocular space
Osamah Saeedi, MD, MS, at ARVO 2024
© 2024 MJH Life Sciences

All rights reserved.