Amaris first to offer two energy levels

September 23, 2008

Amaris is the first refractive laser in the world to offer two separate energy levels for optimal corneal smoothing, according to an announcement from Schwind, the laser's manufacturer.

Amaris is the first refractive laser in the world to offer two separate energy levels for optimal corneal smoothing, according to an announcement made by Schwind, the laser's manufacturer.

The laser, which has a 500 Hz pulse frequency, includes a unique "Automatic Fluence Level Adjustment" feature, enabling the laser to switch between high and low levels of fluence to provide the most appropriate energy level for each cornea. Approximately 80% of the ablation is performed at high fluence; for the remaining 20% of the procedure, the laser automatically lowers the fluence value to whatever level is most appropriate. Dual fluence levels are also able to treat subjective refractions and higher order aberrations.

Schwind believes that this combination of high and low fluence values and pulse frequencies offers optimum results for patients, as well as increasing the lifetime of the equipment.

The images show ablation variations: please click on an image to enlarge.