Tonometer disinfection failure puts patients at risk

Article

Many UK institutions are not compliant with current international guidelines on tonometer disinfection, according to a study published in the August 2008 issue of Eye.

Many UK institutions are not compliant with current international guidelines on tonometer disinfection, according to a study published in the August 2008 issue of Eye.

Roxane J. Hillier, MRCOphtha of Manchester Royal Eye Hospital, UK and colleagues conducted a telephone questionnaire of a senior nurse at every ophthalmology unit with training recognition in the UK (n=155) to compare current tonometer disinfection practice with published guidelines. Of the respondents, 23% (n=35) were excluded immediately as they reported that they used only disposable tonometer heads. The remaining 77% (n=120) used either reusable or a combination of reusable and disposable heads.

A chlorine-based solution was used to disinfect 67% of units (n=80). The concentration of chlorine used ranged from 125 to 30000 ppm, although 63% of units (n=50) used a concentration of <5000 ppm, which is the strength of disinfection recommended in published guidelines. Other disinfectant solutions used included: isopropyl alcohol (n=18), hydrogen peroxide (n=12), chloramine (n=5), chlorhexidine (n=4) and peracetic acid (n=1). One tonometer head per practitioner was provided in 29% of units (n=29); it is likely that these practitioners do not have sufficient time to disinfect these heads between patients. All units questioned replenished disinfectant daily, which is adequate for all solutions except hydrogen peroxide: of the 12 units using this disinfectant, 75% (n=9) did not replenish the solution (as required) twice daily.

The researchers concluded that, although the disinfection practices vary quite widely across the country, most units in the UK do not meet internationally recommended health and safety guidelines on tonometer head disinfection, leaving patients vulnerable to the risk of infection.

Related Videos
ARVO 2024: Andrew D. Pucker, OD, PhD on measuring meibomian gland morphology with increased accuracy
 Allen Ho, MD, presented a paper on the 12 month results of a mutation agnostic optogenetic programme for patients with severe vision loss from retinitis pigmentosa
Noel Brennan, MScOptom, PhD, a clinical research fellow at Johnson and Johnson
ARVO 2024: President-elect SriniVas Sadda, MD, speaks with David Hutton of Ophthalmology Times
Elias Kahan, MD, a clinical research fellow and incoming PGY1 resident at NYU
Neda Gioia, OD, sat down to discuss a poster from this year's ARVO meeting held in Seattle, Washington
Eric Donnenfeld, MD, a corneal, cataract and refractive surgeon at Ophthalmic Consultants of Connecticut, discusses his ARVO presentation with Ophthalmology Times
John D Sheppard, MD, MSc, FACs, speaks with David Hutton of Ophthalmology Times
Paul Kayne, PhD, on assessing melanocortin receptors in the ocular space
Osamah Saeedi, MD, MS, at ARVO 2024
© 2024 MJH Life Sciences

All rights reserved.