The smart way to treat dry eye


Insertion of a SmartPlug (Medennium) can be an effective management tool for severe dry eye syndrome.

Insertion of a SmartPlug (Medennium) can be an effective management tool for severe dry eye syndrome, according to a report published in the June issue of Cornea.

Simon Chen and Graham Lee of the University of Queensland, Australia conducted a retrospective chart review of patients undergoing SmartPlug insertion between June 2003 and December 2005.

A total of 91 eyes of 54 patients (44 women and 10 men) were included in the review. The average follow-up period was 13.0±6.0 months, with a minimum of six months. Thirty patients (60.4%) reported using a decreased amount of lubricant eye drops, including nine patients (15.4%) who were altogether free of eye drop use. Forty-one patients (75.8%) reported subjective symptom improvement after insertion of the SmartPlug. Meanwhile, complications included canaliculitis (6.6%), epiphora requiring plug removal (5.5%) and spontaneous plug loss (2.2%).

The study demonstrates that the SmartPlug can be useful in treating severe dry eye but the authors warn that long-term follow-up is required for potentially serious complications such as canaliculitis.

The SmartPlug is available throughout Europe and the US, as well as other countries around the world.

Related Videos
Josefina Botta, MD, MSc, at ASCRS 2024
Dr Nir Shoham Hazon, Director, Miramichi EyeNB Centre of Excellence, New Brunswick, Canada
J. Morgan Micheletti, MD, speaks at the 2024 ASCRS meeting
Dr William Wiley of Cleveland Eye Clinic, Northeast Ohio
© 2024 MJH Life Sciences

All rights reserved.