OR WAIT null SECS
Dr Mark Wevill discusses the changes occuring in the field of femtosecond lasers and the advantages this technology has enabled.
Femtosecond lasers are changing corneal surgery. There is a growing list of applications and improved safety and efficacy is making femtosecond technology the gold standard in some surgical techniques. I have used femtosecond lasers for the last 4 years for LASIK, axial keratotomies and presbyopia procedures. The femtosecond laser has made LASIK and axial keratotomies more accurate and safe, and the presbyopia procedure would not be possible without a femtosecond laser.
Femtosecond versus microkeratome
The consequences of 120 consecutive LASIK flap complications were analysed (80 MK, 40 FS). The mean time between the development of the flap complication and final excimer laser refractive correction was 76 days in the MK group and 22 days in the FS group. As a result of the less severe consequences of a FS LASIK flap complication, the final refractive correction can be completed sooner with FS LASIK, which is an advantage for both the patient and the surgeon. 4
Dr Mark Wevill, FRCS(Ed), FRCS(SA), is a consultant ophthalmologist at Ultralase Clinics, UK. He may be reached at tel.: +44 121 4565752 or fax: +44 121 4540122.
Dr Wevill states that he has no financial interest in the products or companies mentioned
1. H. Eleftheriades and J. Dermott, Comparison of the results of femtosecond and microkeratome LASIK in over 20000 eyes, poster presentation Winter ESCRS Barcelona 2008.
2. J. Chang, J. Refract. Surg., 2008; 24(1):S97–101.
3. J. Dermott, Flap complications in femtosecond and microkeratome LASIK in over 25000 eyes, free paper presentation ESCRS Berlin 2008.
4. J. Dermott, Outcomes of flap complications with a microkeratome and the femtosecond laser, free paper presentation ESCRS Barcelona 2009.
5. M. Wevill and J. Dermott, Visual outcomes of eyes with Intralase flap complications, free paper presentation ESCRS Paris 2010.
6. M. Wevill and J. Dermott, Treatment of high astigmatism with femtosecond laser incisions, presentation at the Femtosecond Laser Users Forum, Paris Sept 2010.
7. M. Wevill and J. Dermott, Intracor for Presbyopia: Early experience, presentation at UKISCRS Brighton Nov 2010.