Drug trial results look good for dry AMD treatment

Article

Positive interim data results from the Phase II trial of OT-551 to treat geographic atrophy (GA), an advanced form of AMD, have been announced by Othera Pharmaceuticals Inc.

Positive interim data results from the Phase II trial of OT-551 to treat geographic atrophy (GA), an advanced form of AMD, have been announced by Othera Pharmaceuticals Inc.

The 12-month findings from the two year OMEGA trial are reported to show an emerging trend for a moderate reduction in vision loss in patients who were treated with OT-551 compared to those receiving a placebo.

OT-551 is an eye drop and contains a hydroxylamine anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory molecule that targets oxidative stress and inflammation pathways, believed to be involved in AMD.

When asked by Visiongain in its recent report looking at Ophthalmic Pharmaceuticals 2009-2023 how Othera sees OT-551 in comparison to Lucentis and Avastin Dr Al Reaves, Othera's Senior Vice President of Clinical Development said: "It's hard to draw comparisons since these drugs treat very different types of AMD disease (dry versus wet). That said, if OT-551 demonstrates the ability to slow down or halt the atrophic progression, then it could become one of the most significant therapeutic advances in ophthalmology since Lucentis. Lucentis and Avastin only address wet AMD, which accounts for up to 10% of all AMD patients, whereas OT-551 targets the dry form of AMD which includes the remaining 90%. The NEI [National Eye Institute (US)] estimates that the number of people in the US alone with dry AMD could exceed 20 million by 202 and the prevalence is similar in developed countries of the world."

Related Videos
ARVO 2024: Andrew D. Pucker, OD, PhD on measuring meibomian gland morphology with increased accuracy
 Allen Ho, MD, presented a paper on the 12 month results of a mutation agnostic optogenetic programme for patients with severe vision loss from retinitis pigmentosa
Noel Brennan, MScOptom, PhD, a clinical research fellow at Johnson and Johnson
ARVO 2024: President-elect SriniVas Sadda, MD, speaks with David Hutton of Ophthalmology Times
Elias Kahan, MD, a clinical research fellow and incoming PGY1 resident at NYU
Neda Gioia, OD, sat down to discuss a poster from this year's ARVO meeting held in Seattle, Washington
Eric Donnenfeld, MD, a corneal, cataract and refractive surgeon at Ophthalmic Consultants of Connecticut, discusses his ARVO presentation with Ophthalmology Times
John D Sheppard, MD, MSc, FACs, speaks with David Hutton of Ophthalmology Times
Paul Kayne, PhD, on assessing melanocortin receptors in the ocular space
Osamah Saeedi, MD, MS, at ARVO 2024
© 2024 MJH Life Sciences

All rights reserved.